3R’s Board Training
“Roles, Risks & Rewards – The 3Rs for Cooperative Boards”
A six-hour seminar that will build your cooperative knowledge and show you how to work together as a board. The 3Rs workshop assists board members in developing excellence in governance right at their own cooperative. Who should participate? Housing cooperative board members, management and anyone interested in governance.
Our specially trained instructors will demonstrate successful governance through interactive discussions, review exercises and hands-on activities. We’ll conduct our 3Rs seminar at your cooperative, referencing your organization’s governing documents, financing and restrictions.
The seminar is broken into three modules. In the first, you’ll receive an overview of cooperative board governance and learn why boards govern. The second will explore governance resources and how boards govern. In the third, you’ll cover governance responsibilities by looking at what boards do and discussing their duties. The seminar will also show you how to work with your members. You’ll learn ways to develop and implement goals to enhance your community and increase its value. By the end of the day, you’ll have the knowledge you need to become a successful, effective member of your cooperative’s board.
The Six Hour Seminar Covers Many Topics
- Explains different goals and purposes for cooperatives, and understand reasons that people enter into cooperatives and how boards must support them
- Follow your bylaws and other legal documents
- Execute board responsibilities ethically
- Operate under a common business philosophy
- Examine different reasons that members become board members
- Review reasons for the development of goals by members and how the board must work with members to achieve those goals
- Discuss threats to the cooperative and the board’s role in mitigating them
- Examine your cooperative’s six basic legal documents
- Discuss the elements of each cooperative document and how each regulates cooperative operations
- Review the four categories of board responsibilities
- Examine the basic activities and resources used for sound financial planning, analysis and management
- Review the National Association of Housing Cooperatives’ “Director’s Code of Ethics”
- Discuss unethical board member behavior
- Examine the impact to the board, community and the image of cooperative housing of unethical board member behavior
- Draft action plans to govern more effectively
Your housing cooperative deserves the best board possible!
Just like you, your fellow members call your housing cooperative “Home.” And they’ve elected you to represent them on your Cooperative’s Board of Directors. But when it comes to making decisions on capital improvements, finances or management, do you have a clear understanding of board responsibilities?
As a cooperative board member, you are a leader in your cooperative community. This seminar will assist you in understanding how you can partner your leadership skills with your other board member’s skills to develop a healthy cooperative community. That’s why the National Association of Housing Cooperatives has created a day-long workshop to train directors how to successfully govern their housing cooperative.
NAHC’s mission is to support
and educate existing and
new cooperative housing
communities as the best and most economical form of homeownership.
Sign-up for NAHC Emails
Stay up to date on the latest news and developments in cooperative housing.